Guinness Brown Bread
50g/2oz margarine or butter
1 tablespoon treacle
450g/1lb coarse wholemeal flour
25g/1oz pinhead oatmeal
4 tablespoons demerara sugar
100g chopped walnuts (optional)
2 level teaspoons bicarbonate of soda
Preheat oven to 190C/375F/Gas 5. Lightly grease a 2lb loaf tin.
- Put margarine/butter and treacle into a saucepan over a low heat and allow to melt.
- Meanwhile put the wholemeal flour, oatmeal, sugar and walnuts into a bowl. Sieve in the bicarbonate of soda and mix well.
- When the margarine/butter has melted, add the Guinness and stir.
- Add the liquid to the dry ingredients and mix well. Transfer mixture to prepared tine and bake for about 40-50 minutes until risen and when tapped underneath has a hollow sound.
- Wrap in a clean towel and allow to cool.